Sunday, January 4, 2015

Update: Fire at Cattail Cove, Unit 401, Saturday, January 3, 2015

This correspondence is from an owner at Cattail Cove

"An update, after I spoke with Sentry Management.

"The fire was apparently caused by a smoker who put out the cigarette (?!) then put the butt in the flower pot.  The butt was not fully extinguished, and the mulch in the pot caught fire.   Then the pot.   Then the siding.

"The fire dept. arrived quickly.   I’m not sure if someone called 911 or whether it was due to someone pulling the fire alarm.   Perhaps the fire got the sprinkler going which caused the alarm, but I could not see it from the street.   The fire was extinguished fairly quickly.   The only damage I am aware of is to that single unit, although there may be water damage in the unit below – I don’t know.   There is no significant odor of smoke in the building.   All the residents are back (not sure about the one on fire though).   We were very fortunate that the fire did not have time to get into the ceiling or attic – otherwise it would have  been much worse.

"After thoughts:
-         -  A person moving out parked a truck with trailer out front in the circle.   It impeded the fire trucks.   A zero tolerance policy should be considered around your fire hydrant areas.
-         -  I had trouble getting through to Sentry since it was a holiday weekend.  I was put through to the emergency group but they had a great deal of trouble figuring out where Deep Harbour was.   I have raised the issue with Sentry.


"We are grateful that the situation was not worse."

Many thanks to our friend at Cattail Cove for this message.
(note that I have removed names to ensure privacy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment